History of Calvary Church
Building in Faith for the Future
Expansion of the physical facilities continued in 1999. Utilizing much volunteer help, Lee Weintz and Bill Dirksen supervised the building of the Adult Education Building on the north side of 2nd Street. Plans included space to move the Almost Home (after-school program) to the building which also has four large meeting areas. 

In 2006, consistory approved the enhancement of Calvary's facilities by reroofing the sanctuary, painting the exterior , adding brick facing, erecting a gazebo in the courtyard and updated landscaping. 
 
The two-story administration building consisting of staff offices and group meeting rooms was dedicated in April 2007. All buildings were made handicap accessible. The old parsonage/office was transformed to be used as a Junior High youth building. 
 
 
The most recent work began in 2013 and consisted of new carpet and pew recovering. The parking lot was paved and the kitchen was updated. A Welcome Center was added to the main building where families could gather with a cup of coffee and visit between services. The nursery was updated to be safe and compliant and a playground area was added for the enjoyment of children of members and guests.
Throughout the years of our history, God's blessings on the people and programs of Calvary Church are so evident and we continue to celebrate God's faithfulness, looking forward in faith.  
 
Pastors That Have Served Calvary Church
                                 
Rev. Edward Fikse
1935-1943
 
Rev. John H & Nina Keuning
1944-1952
    

Rev. Reuben & Lucille Ongna
1953-1958
 
Rev. Kenneth & Tina Dykstra
1958-1968
 
Rev. John & Joyce Busman
1969-1981 




Rev. Ray & Hilda DeDoes  
   1982-1992              


   Pastor Duane Laman & Family
1993-2009

Pastor Dave and Barb Schutt
2010-2016

American Legion Hall

The congregation held services in the upper assembly room of the American Legion Hall at the corner of Main and Walnut Streets.

Calvary Church 1938

The congregation outgrew their meeting place in the Legion Hall and in January 1937, two lots were purchased on the corner of Main and Palm Streets for a new church. On April 6, 1937 the new church was dedicated.

Growth Continues

Property was purchased on Second and Vera Avenue. On July 4, 1949, less than a year after groundbreaking ceremonies were held, the new building was dedicated to the glory of God.
UA-54702900-1